Monday, September 22, 2014

Behind the Screens...

It's a hard job, growing up.
I finally understood why people stuck to safe occupations like medicine and engineering. I'm a media-brat and over the past couple of years, illusion after illusion has shattered and left me reeling. Why?
You know your joy back in school when your favourite author responded to your fanmail? Or that fizzy warmth when your Tweet was favourited by your superstar crush?
Yeah, I'm a social media executive, and this is my tale of dissatisfaction.
I tweet.
For myself, yes, but more for my client, and my other client and another client...
And I help others tweet for their clients. Hell, if there were such a thing, I'd be Yogi-T. Okay, so maybe that's an overstatement. But the point is that as a media person, you realize that nothing is sacred.
Statements are not given by people, but their PR teams. That awesome letter from Deepika Padukone? Probably written by her publicist. My tweet which was favourited by Sarah Kay? Possibly social media exec for her.
See it's really easy. While Social Media has made my life better (mostly by giving me a job), it's also made stars happy. This is their means to interact and showcase an audience-oriented face, while they're just hiring desperate job-searching freshers like yours truly to network for them.
In fact, in this scenario, we should be proud of blonde-ettes like Alia Bhatt and Sonam Kapoor. They're obviously new to this game, which is why they're so bent on giving their own statements. As Kay-Joh said in AIB's Save-Alia video, "You can't expect them to be hot and smart..." and there we have it... Poor little girls without a social networking team! Notice how controversies have no responses by Tweet-happy celebs? Because we're strictly briefed by our bosses not to take pangas... "If there is any potential controversy, either say away, or, if it's important, then get back to the client."
In which case, since 'the client' is obviously bad enough at networking to need us, the thing never sees the light of day. Tres simple, non?
So this is why I'm upset.
I just thought back to all the people I nursed huge crushes on because of their witty responses and their zingy personalities, and I realized... All PR and publicists...
Heart. Broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment