Monday, September 15, 2014

My Life is a Box

My life is a life in a box
Everything I own fits in a box
Every family member has a box.
I live in a box, sometimes out of a box.

Everything can be folded, just so
So everything has a proper place to go
All my things fit neatly one by one
New things replace the old stuff with which you’re done

There’s a master-box called ‘Life’ with a shiny red button
It’s the trigger that’s activated all of a sudden
And wham! The world springs into motion
Moving from hill to plain or ocean to ocean
Everything wrapped up in paper or plastic
Fit in its box, defying all logic
Nothing of life as we knew it remains
The four walls, once a house, now nothing’s the same
My room, the bookcase, bar, cupboards along
We move on and on and on and on

When I was young, I thought this was it
This was what every family did
Come home one day, the boxes are out
It never ends, all the moving about.

Eventually I guessed that it’s not a norm
Not too many others move on and on
So many times from one place to the next
That houses are static, I’d never have guessed.

I’d taken a flight before my peers did
I’d seen more new schools than any other kid
Somewhere in each new school I found
A familiar face from my past around
Every old friend was still different to me
We all changed, place to place, do you see?
Every new school was a chance to start fresh
Who you were from class to class was anyone’s guess

The nerd from 4D was the jock of the year
In 7A that shy chick from 3C appeared
But holy crap, she’s popular now
And how can you like THAT 10B cow?
Oh everyone changes from class to class
Like scenes from a movie, nothing much lasts
Your best friend with whom you played in the dirt
Now is the player with the mini-skirt.
That guy you always thought was a geek
Is now the one all hot girls seek
And you, the observer, from next to the wall
Don’t assume you haven’t changed at all

You’ll eventually all meet up once more
In a world where Facebook can even the score
And “Oh my God, you’re so different!” is the standard hello
From people who once you claimed to know

The Pandora’s box of your life the opens up
And reminds you that you’re still stuck
Amidst boxes.

Boxes with neat school-based labels on
Boxes with multiple names scribbled on
And some with no name that you’re scared to touch
For fear they might reminds you of too much
Every box opens into a wonderful world
In the past when you were a littler girl

And the boxes weren’t quite so very many
Neither were they ever quite so heavy
As life begins to become more multi-hued
Your boxes increase in number too

And when people talk of some vague ‘baggage’
You actually have it, in physical luggage!
You’re capable of lording it over
Any rummaging, kleptomaniac hoarder
And eventually, in the chapter for the life you led
There’ll be a list of box-contents instead



No comments:

Post a Comment